Saturday, September 5, 2009

Frugality

I have given frugality a lot of thought this week after my great quest to obtain my new vintage Singer 500A Rocketeer sewing machine. I started out just checking out the machine on Google to find out how to use the one I have better and then ran into all of them on Ebay. Then the wheels started turning in my head that maybe I should just get another one to have the carrying case that I did really need. The next few days were spent off and on doing Google searches and by “accident” I ran into a local add from a town 80 miles away, for a 500A with portable case and home cabinet for $60.00. I really could not pass that up easily so after approaching my husband and being that the next day was his day off, we took the long trip to pick it up. It was in pristine shape except for the carrying case that was slightly warped and to my surprised it came with a Professional Singer Buttonholer and a box of special cams, both of which can cost a lot to obtain. Ever sense I have just been dancing a jig. I can’t wait to get my old one all cleaned up, lubed and oiled and have them both set up for some marathon sewing with my friends and family. How does this tie in with frugality? Well, I believe that true frugality for me does not mean just cheap. A cheap sewing machine can be a real pain to deal with and just not make you want to sew anymore. New is not necessarily better by any means. This machine just happens to be touted by many home sewers as being the best sewing machine ever made. Do most people know this? No, of course not. It would not even be considered because all of us are brainwashed by the hard charging advertizing campaigns that force us to go into the wilderness to get away from it all. Why do we succumb and cave? I say we can fight back! We can look for true value and be truly happy with our decisions. All we have to do is just take a breath, think about it and consider all the options. Maybe sometimes new is better, sometimes vintage, and sometimes just do without it as it may complicate our lives, but at least THINK about it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment but rude or mean comments will be deleated by author.